As of 2023, the metaverse industry is expected to continue its growth trajectory. Many experts predict that virtual worlds will become an increasingly important aspect of our lives in the coming years, with more people spending time in immersive, digital environments. This trend is expected to continue as technology advances and more people become comfortable with virtual experiences.
In terms of Gen Z, this demographic is expected to be a significant driver of growth in the metaverse industry. Gen Z is the first generation to grow up with digital technology as an integral part of their lives, and they are generally more comfortable with using technology to socialize and connect.
This generation is also highly entrepreneurial and values creative expression, making them a natural fit for metaverse platforms that enable users to build and create their virtual spaces.
Stats about Metaverse Users
- According to a survey conducted by VRScout, the majority of metaverse users are aged between 18 and 34 years old.
- Another survey by SuperData Research found that 57% of virtual reality users are male, while 43% are female.
- The same survey also found that the most popular use cases for virtual reality are gaming (69%), followed by videos (52%), and virtual experiences (51%).
- A survey by GlobalWebIndex found that 37% of Gen Z respondents are interested in using virtual and augmented reality, and that 57% of them believe that virtual reality will change the way they work, learn, and socialize.
- A report by Bloomberg predicts that the metaverse will have a user base of over one billion people by 2030, with the majority of them being from Asia.
Metaverse Revenues Stats & Growth Projections
- The global virtual and augmented reality market was valued at $16.8 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $125.32 billion by 2026.
- In 2020, the global gaming market generated $174.9 billion in revenue, with the largest segment being mobile gaming at $86.3 billion.
- Decentraland, one of the leading metaverse platforms, generated over $15 million in revenue from the sale of virtual land and other digital assets in 2021.
- Roblox, a popular metaverse platform primarily focused on gaming, generated $923.9 million in revenue in 2020 and has a market capitalization of over $40 billion as of early 2022.
- The virtual goods market is projected to reach $250 billion by 2025, driven by the growth of metaverse platforms and the increasing popularity of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- In-game advertising is another growing revenue stream in the metaverse, with estimates suggesting that the market will reach $20 billion by 2027.
- The market for virtual events, such as concerts and conferences, is also expanding rapidly, with companies like Fortnite and Decentraland hosting successful virtual events with millions of attendees. The virtual events market is projected to reach $774 billion by 2030.
- Meanwhile, another report by Bloomberg estimates that the total market value of the metaverse will reach $1 trillion by 2030, and that it will generate $800 billion in annual revenue by that time